Around £6 million of medicine is returned unused to pharmacies every year across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
Vast amounts of medicines have to be destroyed because they can’t be used by anyone else.The NHS hasn’t got this money to spare. We need every penny to provide healthcare.
We are asking pharmacies, GP practices and everyone who takes or orders medicines to play their part in making sure that we don’t waste money in this way.
Medicines Matter is a pledge we can all make to reduce this waste.
The facts about wasted medicines
- Across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent around £6 million each year is wasted on medicines which people are prescribed that they don’t use.
- £2.4 million in South Staffordshire
- £2.7m in North Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
- £0.8m in East Staffordshire
- Unwanted medicines can’t be used by other people unless you return them before you leave the pharmacy, so please don’t order more than you need.
How can you help?
- As members of the public, we can all help by signing up to the following pledges
- I will check what medicines I have before ordering more
- I will check my bag of medicines as soon as it’s given to me and hand back any I don’t need.
- I will let my GP practice or pharmacy know if I don’t need any of my medicines.